We know that moving can be a stressful time. To help, here is a detailed moving checklist to ensure nothing is forgotten on moving day. At the bottom of this moving checklist is a PDF printable version to help keep your move on track.
PANADEW PROPERTIES MOVING CHECKLIST
Moving Day: 4+ weeks away
- Get boxes and moving supplies.
- Arrange phone service at your new home.
- Take unwanted items to charity and/or dump.
- Set up mail-forward with Canada Post.
- Dispose of household chemicals properly (old paint, caustic cleaners, etc.). Take these to 196 Lappan’s Lane.
- Arrange the return of any cable TV equipment.
- Arrange new policy for contents and tenant liability insurance or transfer existing policy (as per section 10.05 of your lease).
- Complete necessary change of address forms:
- Drivers’ license, Health cards, Insurance
- Employer, Doctor, Dentist
- Magazine subscriptions and other mailings
- Bank accounts, credit cards, and tax office (Canada Customs and Revenue Agency)
- Make travel arrangements and reservations.
- Arrange transfer of car insurance & license plates.
- Register at new school.
- Notify kids’ schools, transfer records.
- Get copies of medical and dental records; if you have pets, get copies of veterinary records.
Moving Day: 2-4 weeks away
- Return borrowed items.
- Arrange connection of utilities at new place (section 05.08 of your lease outlines which utilities you are responsible for).
- Retrieve loaned items.
- Arrange disconnection of utilities at old place.
- Arrange your move-in or move-out inspection with Panadew.
Moving Day: 1 week away
- Determine what you can bring with you if traveling by car, plane, train, or bus.
- Pack a suitcase with the clothes and toiletries that you’ll need the first day in your new home.
- Pack a special box with other essentials you’ll need for the first few days and mark this box “Do Not Move”.
Moving Day: 1 day away
- Take down curtains and curtain rods.
- Pack your personal belongings, except your alarm clock, necessary clothes, jewelry and bedding.
- Empty, defrost and clean refrigerator; clean the stove.
Moving Day: Today!
- Keep paperwork accessible.
- Collect all keys; keep them in a safe place.
- Strip and dismantle beds.
- Clean premises that you are leaving, inspect with the landlord.
- Final walk-through: check all closets and cabinets
- If using a moving company, confirm the new address and delivery time with the driver.
- If using a moving company, walk about with supervisor and sign inventory forms.
- Know how to reach your new landlord.
Once your moving checklist is complete keep it with you for your next adventure in moving or you can simply download another copy of the Panadew Moving Checklist right here:
PANADEW MOVING CHECKLIST
*Note: Ensure you get written permission from Panadew prior to installing any shelving or hooks on the walls, or painting.
Adapted from: Canadian Mortgage and Housing Corporation